Vein Treatment

Should You See a Phlebologist or Dermatologist for Your Leg Vein Treatment

Varicose veins and spider veins are enlarged or swollen veins that often appear twisted, bulging, or darkened on the legs. They occur when the valves inside the veins that help direct blood towards the heart get weakened, allowing blood to collect or pool in the veins. Both phlebologists and dermatologists can treat vein problems, but they have different specialized expertise.

Phlebologist or Dermatologist for Leg Vein Treatment

This definitive overview discusses key distinctions between specialties to determine the right leg vein care path for your needs across three key areas:

  • Medical training and expertise
  • Treatment options and approaches
  • Insurance coverage and costs

Read on to make an informed provider choice you feel confident about as you work toward healthier, better-looking legs.

Background on Phlebology vs. Dermatology

Before comparing specialization tracks, let’s set the stage on each medical field:

Phlebology involves diagnosing and treating all vein disorders in all body areas – from tiny spider veins and reticular veins to severely dysfunctional varicose veins and vascular malformations. Phlebologists focus exclusively on vein care full time.

Dermatology spans a wider range of skin conditions like acne, skin cancer, infection, etc. Only some dermatologists choose to also offer cosmetic vein/vascular treatments. Their primary work emphasizes other dermatologic issues.

Differing Medical Education and Credentials

Phlebologists always receive extensive education on the vascular system before treating veins, while dermatologists focus more broadly:

Phlebology Training Pathway

  • Medical degree – M.D. or D.O
  • Surgical residency training
  • Dedicated phlebology fellowship

Dermatology Training Pathway

  • Medical degree – M.D. or D.O.
  • 3-year dermatology residency
  • Optional short coursework in veins/vascular treatments

Consequently, phlebologists gain far greater immersion learning medical and minimally invasive management of all vein disease. This background shapes their offerings.

Treatment Options and Approaches

Due to background contrasts, phlebologists and dermatologists approach vein care quite differently:

Phlebology Treatments

  • Conservative therapy first
  • Address underlying dysfunction
  • Spider veins to varicose veins
  • Compression, injections, ablation

Dermatology Treatments

  • Cosmetic appearance focus
  • Spider veins/superficial concerns
  • Laser, IPL, micro phlebectomy
  • Limited advanced care options

Phlebologists always start with non-invasive conservative protocols to strengthen veins naturally with compression, massage, dietary changes, supplements, etc. They explore root dysfunction fueling vein damage to make corrections, not just treat visible symptoms.

They can provide complete point-of-care management from early spider veins through advanced varicose veins, venous ulcers, or circulation-related pain. In addition to visual improvement and laser treatments, phlebologists offer sclerotherapy injections, thermal ablation procedures, and vascular surgeries.

Whereas dermatologists excel at skin rejuvenation through resurfacing techniques, their vein skillset centers around superficial small spider veins rather than reversing underlying pathology. Most don’t perform major vein procedures. Patients needing advanced intervention ultimately transfer to vascular/phlebology centers anyway.

Insurance Coverage and Payment

Insurance approaches spider and varicose veins quite differently, impacting out-of-pocket costs:

Spider Veins

Considered cosmetic without medical necessity by insurers, treatments for tiny intradermal telangiectasias rarely qualify for coverage whether seeing a phlebologist or dermatologist. Exceptions exist for purple vascular skin lesions.

Varicose Veins

As painful medical conditions that worsen over time, varicose veins and related complications like ulcers or thrombophlebitis often meet insurance criteria with proper documentation. Conservative therapy trials maximize covered services.

For symptom relief, phlebologists excel at documenting medical necessity to insurance while dermatologists often lack supporting credentials to justify advanced treatments. This means higher self-pay costs with dermatology.


When deciding between a phlebologist versus a dermatologist for varicose and spider veins, consider the complexity and underlying cause of your venous disease. Phlebologists specialize specifically in vein health and can offer more advanced treatments, vascular testing, and procedures to address circulation or blood flow issues in the veins. Dermatologists excel at cosmetic vein treatments like sclerotherapy for spider veins and some uncomplicated varicose veins. For mild surface veins that are primarily a cosmetic nuisance, a dermatologist may suffice. However, if you suffer pain, swelling, heaviness or leg fatigue, have a family history, bleeding veins, or risk factors like DVT, see a phlebologist for a full venous workup and treatment plan for the health of your veins. Selecting the right vein expert delivers optimal results.


What is a phlebologist?

A phlebologist is a doctor who specializes in treating veins and venous disease. They have advanced training in vein care beyond medical school.

What kind of conditions do phlebologists treat?

Phlebologists treat all types of venous disease including varicose veins, spider veins, chronic venous insufficiency, venous ulcers, and venous thromboembolism (VTE like deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism). They can evaluate vein structure and circulation issues.

What procedures do phlebologists perform?

Phlebologists offer minimally invasive vein procedures like endovenous ablation, vascular ultrasound evaluations, sclerotherapy, ambulatory phlebectomy, and advanced treatments for venous wounds or ulcers.

When should I see a phlebologist versus a dermatologist?

See a phlebologist if you have pain/aching, swelling, bleeding, or skin changes from venous disease. Also see one if veins are very large or complex, there are circulatory issues, or you’ve had a blood clot before. See a dermatologist for cosmetic treatment of uncomplicated small spider veins.

Do I need a referral to see a phlebologist?

You may need a referral from your primary care doctor to see a phlebologist depending on your insurance plan. Check with your insurance provider to confirm.

Does insurance cover phlebologist treatments?

Many minimally invasive vein treatments may be covered by insurance when medically necessary. Cosmetic procedures may not be covered. Discuss cost/coverage with your phlebologist.


My name is Selina, a medical specialist blogger helping people access treatment for 5+ years. Although blogging awhile, only recently deeply engaged. This past year my most productive, providing hospital reviews and info on symptoms, diagnoses and diseases. Also offer guidelines to help readers navigate healthcare. Goal to continue increased content pace to assist many. Aim to facilitate treatment and empower advocacy through writing.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button